Mar 16, 2008

18 Weeks-Closer to the Halfway Mark!


HEAD to bottom, your baby is approximately 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and weighs almost 7 ounces. She's busy flexing her arms and legs - movements you'll likely start noticing more and more (I haven't yet!!). Her blood vessels are visible through her thin skin and her ears are now in position and stand out from her head. Myelin (a protective covering) is beginning to form around her nerves, a process that will continue for a year after she's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and Fallopian tubes are formed in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable, though he may hide them from you during an ultrasound. (ours  is this week--the 20th!!)

I had time to write to the baby this week. It really helped me connect to this little person growing inside me. The emotions coursing through me are numerous and intense. Many unknowns remain at this time, but my God has given me an enormous amount of peace {and grace}. How blessed Shawn and I are to be on this journey! It's ok not to "know everything." It's ok to let this run its beautiful course. To soak it all in. To be amazed at the changes in my body. To anticipate looking into this child's face. We're in a good place.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

He better not hide his genitals during the sonogram!

Unknown said...

I didnt think you were finding out, so it's ok if he hides them! ha, ha! Although, I think its a girl!

Paula said...

You are looking so beautiful! Are you aware that you have been tagged? Check out my blog or Kyle's. We are patiently waiting for 10 weird things from you!!!