Sep 11, 2007

Small towns

Chanute, KS, is home to over 9,000 people and is also the town I lived in my whole life (until '00). Going back to visit is hard, because it seems like the town is always changing, and I'm noticing the "not so good" things about it. Then I wonder, "has this town always been like this, and I'm just now noticing?" Probably. When I was younger, I was oblivious to the economic hardships, familial dysfunction, substance abuse, etc. Now it seems to be so darn evident. But, like any town, Chanute possesses both wonderful and sorrowful qualities. I'm so lucky to have experienced all the wonderful things.

This weekend Shawn and I though we'd take our "child", Marley, along for a nice Sunday get-away to good 'ole Chanutey. The drive was pleasant, the fields lush from the recent floods (that happened to occur on Erin/Ryan's wedding day!) and the watchful sun bright in the sky. There were even fields of sunflowers bowing to the sun. I always try to find just one who is, perhaps, rebelious and turned in another direction, but I haven't been successful yet.

We arrived at my parents and enjoyed brisket, taters--the works. Then we went to a flea market, where we hit the jackpot, so they say. I forgot that MOST THINGS IN A SMALL TOWN ARE CHEAPER than in the "big city." We bought an awesome chair for $5. It was originally marked $20, but the salesman knocked the price down. We were elated! It needs reupholstered; once done, it will be groovy. My dad explained that the man likely wanted to be rid of it as it would cost more to ship it off to the dump than to sell it to us city slickers.


Ok, I guess that's it for now. Enjoy the pics below of our flea market steals.
Here's the chair:
And here is the cheesy floral painting in our living room:

And here's a picture of us at Council Grove, KS, for Labor Day weekend:

And one last pic of my new 'do:

No comments: