Jul 20, 2008

36 Weeks-Women are really pregnant for TEN months? I thought I was done!



YOUR baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day (!). He now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. He's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered his body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected his skin during his nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, which will form the contents of his first bowel movement (the nurses will take care of that, right??).

At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.)
(please don't get too comfy, Baby!)

Developments:
~Have I mentioned I feel HUGE?
~Breastfeeding class concluded; we learned some good stuff
~Nursery pics won't be posted until my family sees the room!
~Feels like someone's wringing out my bladder--similar to a dishrag being rung out (but I'm still smiling!)

1 comment:

Katie said...

OH MY GOODNESS I can't wait until LiL' Peanut is born! I only wish we were closer and could help you babysit and teach him how to play video games and stuff. So thankful that your pregnancy has been a healthy one and we're looking forward to seeing you all in September!!