Nov 10, 2008

Cookies as LAOK's (little acts of kindness)

A story of vulnerability at it's best here, folks, or, rather, honesty...our neighbor a few doors down, who is a bit of a kid-at-heart, broke a leg after falling off his segue (you know, those upright things on wheels that look like they belong on the Star Trek set). I found this a perfect opportunity to take him some cookies and proceeded to make a batch of chocolate chip ones. However, and here's where my mistake begins, I did not take them to his house upon their direct exit from the oven. I held on to them. Literally. Then I sniffed them--inhaling their sugary scent. Then I ate them. All. 

A few weeks later, I admitted this to him! Can you believe it? Deeply remorseful for my act-of-kindness-gone-selfish, I decided to redeem myself. So, I made these Peanut Butter Jumbos, and delivered them on the spot. My neighbor was so grateful for this gesture. I was, too, for I didn't want my sweet tooth to fail me again. I have so many things to grow through!

Peanut Butter Jumbos
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
3 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup M & Ms

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. Beat butter, sugars, peanut butter and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Blend in baking soda, vanilla and oats until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips and M & Ms.

Scoop about 1/3 cup dough for each cookie. Place on prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 4 inches apart. Press each cookie to flatten slightly. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until firm in center. Remove to wire racks to cool. Makes about 1 1/2 doz. cookies.

p.s.--this makes a TON of cookies (I made my smaller than 1/3 cup), if you must sneak in a taste before sharing with your neighbors. Not that I did or anything...

6 comments:

Julie said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try that recipe. One thing that's hard (for me) about being home right now is that I have little self control with sweets. An entire pan of brownies sure didn't last long last week! So this made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! I made cut-outs this weekend, and I forgot how long of a process it is to make, bake, and decorate....But I did take pics to hopefully post on the blog....:)

Jenna said...

This looks a lot like my family's "monster cookie" recipe. MMMM. Since it makes so many, sometimes I take a 1/4 cup and make them really large. Happy baking to you!

Ashli said...

I was just thinking,,,,
since you love baking so much, maybe you could connect with a coffeeshop and provide some fresh baked goodies for them...
A lady does that with the coffeeshop Drake works at & they fly off the shelf.
I imagine you could create a following with your delicious goodies!!
Just a thought :)
Anyway, I wanted to let you know that Drake and I will be in Kansas from dec 27 - jan 3 approx...we hope to get to see you guys and mangle peanut some!!!
Maybe we could even arrange some time to whip up a batch a cookies :)

Unknown said...

Keep these recipes coming! I love it!

Wade and Megan said...

I love your honesty! You could totally sell your baked goods! The chocolate chip cookies you made were DELICIOUS! I enjoyed them very much! It was great to see you and Shawn and Wilder this week! Thanks for dinner too!