Nov 19, 2008

Naomi's Revel Bars

I've had this recipe for a few years. I don't make it often, but when I do, and take it to a function, it's always a big hit (the girls in small group really liked it on Monday)!

If you haven't noticed yet, I really like baking things with oatmeal as an ingredient; have always loved oatmeal, raw & cooked. When I was younger, I would take little pinches of raw oatmeal and eat it as a snack; it would make quite a mess on the floor! Also, oatmeal reminds me of my Grandpa Dunning, who ate oatmeal for breakfast every day. I remember eating it with him--I even remember what the little pot on the stove looked like; white with little flowers painted on it...

Naomi's Revel Bars

1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, divided

2 cups packed brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups uncooked quick or old-fashioned oats
1 package (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease 13x9-inch baking pan. Beat 1 cup butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until blended. Add eggs; beat until light. Blend in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda in medium bowl; stir into butter mixture. Stir in oats. Spread 3/4 of oat mixture evenly into prepared pan.

Combine chocolate chips, milk, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy small saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Pour chocolate mixture evenly over oat mixture in pan. Dot with remaining oat mixture.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are browned and center feels firm. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes about 36 bars.




2 comments:

mommyjoymarie said...

That looks like what Debbie brought to us with our meal, and what Suzie made for us a couple weeks ago. They are soooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy!
-Momma