Feb 9, 2009

Tammy's Chocolate Cake--when chocolate is the only answer, bake this!


I don't know the origination of this recipe, but in my family, it's just called "Tammy's Cake" as it was brought to our palettes by, you guessed it, my Aunt Tammy, who I must remark is a really special person and very dear to my heart!


This is one of the easiest chocolate cakes to make, and is REALLY moist, and REALLY good. It will turn any bad day into a good one. Also, it doesn't contain egg so you can eat as much batter as you want!  I baked it for game night with my mom's group friends; I was feeling artsy-fartsy so I added fun hearts and squiggles...


So, without further adieu, here's the recipe:


3 cups flour
6 T cocoa (a little more if using generic cocoa)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
Sift dry ingredients together in large bowl. Create a large hole in the middle and add:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 T vinegar
2 cups water
2 tsp vanilla
Stir well with fork


Bake 30 minutes, in a 9 x13 greased pan (or 2 round pans), at 350 degrees. I baked mine for about 35 minutes.

While the following frosting recipe isn't the "original" for this cake (I don't have that recipe), it's still really creamy and tasty.


One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting:
6 T butter or margarine, softened
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
4-6 T milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.





No comments: