Apr 14, 2009

Our Easter

EASTER'S one of those holidays when I just don't want to miss what God has to say to me. Yes, it is fun to dress up, go to church, have some yummy candy. That part is easy.

The hard part?

Imagining what it would have been like to be Jesus, hanging on a cross for hours for something He didn't do. Now that I'm a mommy, I understand, if only a tad bit better, the dynamics of Father/Son. How the word "excruciating" not only described the pain Jesus was going through on the cross, but described what was going on in His and God's hearts. If I let myself explore what that may have felt like, I begin to weep.

And the whole time Jesus was on earth He knew it would culminate into an execution on a craggy hill. A hill dotted with selfish, greedy, people. Let me correct myself. His people. His creation. That which He loved and cherished. His lambs. His forgiven lambs.

I could walk in shame every day, hour, minute. I know I contributed to the sneers and taunts  at the cross. I may as well been there with the way I've behaved in the past, and even now, amidst those things I've yet to surrender. But this large part of me feels so sad to think that any more shame should go on given what Jesus endured (bearing the shame of the, uh, entire world). I have to remind myself that His payment was enough and I don't need to wallow in shame now that I'm free.

And in a world whirring with consumerism, emphasis on outward appearance, and the pursuit of the American dream, I so vividly see that it isn't enough. It will never be. 

All the brawn and beauty this world possesses could never compare to my Savior's love. My heart beats to adore Him. 

He adores me more than I adore Wilder.

Woah. 




Happy Easter (again)! Be blessed this week. If you are going through a rough patch, let me know how I can help/pray. 
It will be ok!!

3 comments:

Claire Ryser said...

Thanks for your comments on their engagement session! Any friend of theirs is a friend of mine ;)

btw... what an adorable baby! Oh my goodness!!!

Erin said...

Well said, sister. Your writing is simply beautiful. I want an autographed copy of your first published work! :)

Weza said...

Mindy that piece is so well written. You really have captured the work of the cross.
You can pray for us... nothing huge just been finding it all a bit hard lately.
Bless you.
Lisa