Apr 27, 2010

C is for Cookie.

Looking for a pretty cookie to take to your next gathering, or to treat your family? This slight spin on the sugar cookie is just enough to impress, I think. The only thing is that they are a little messy. Also, I prefer a 100% butter-based sugar cookie as opposed to one supplemented with cream cheese.

Black & White Hearts

They turned out nicely, and were yum-O!
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 egg

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening


1) Combine sugar, butter, cream cheese, egg and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl often, until light and fluffy. Add flour; beat until well mixed. Divide dough in half; wrap each half in waxed paper. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.


2) Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out dough to 1 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut out with lightly floured heart-shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove immediately to wire racks to cool completely.


3) Melt chocolate chips and shortening in small saucepan over low heat 4-6 minutes or until melted. Dip half of each heart into melted chocolate. Refrigerate on cookie sheets or trays lined with waxed paper until chocolate is firm. Store, covered, in refrigerator.

And when it's time to treat myself, I just beg Shawn for an Old Chicago Big Cookie!
After all, I've only 4 1/2 more weeks to eat "whatever I want."

2 comments:

Weza said...

You got me. i was reading along loving the idea of these cookies, thinking I might bother to make them but Im unsure if I can be bothered with the 2hr fridge time, and then wham you show me a cookie like no other. Its cookie pizza!!! Now where is the recipe for that?

Ashli said...

feeling the cookie monster urges...
mmmm cooooookie! :)